The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) is an active network comprised of over forty-member public health institutes located throughout all ten Health and Human Services regions. NNPHI also serves as the National Coordinating Center for Public Health Training (NCCPHT) and hosts an affiliate network of ten Regional Public Health Training Centers (Regional PHTCs) serving all fifty states and US territories. Public health institutes (PHIs) are nonprofit organizations that improve the public’s health by fostering innovation, leveraging resources, and building partnerships across sectors, including government agencies, communities, the health care delivery system, media, and academia. NNPHI and its member institutes work together to implement public health policy and program initiatives throughout the nation. NNPHI offices are located in New Orleans and Washington, DC.
The NNPHI mission is to support national public health system initiatives and strengthen public health institutes to promote multi-sector activities resulting in measurable improvements of public health structures, systems, and outcomes. NNPHI’s vision is innovation-fostering public health institutes across the nation collaborating to improve population health.
NNPHI collaborates with its member public health institutes and a wide range of national, state, tribal, and local partners to support public health initiatives. These collaborative efforts promote health equity, support public health and health systems collaboration, build the capacity of the public health system, encourage health in all policies, and promote evidence-based public health practice. Additional information about NNPHI’s program areas and collaborative efforts with public health institutes is available at www.nnphi.org.
NNPHI seeks a Senior Communications Manager to provide communications and project management support to a diverse and growing array of public health projects related to the public health workforce and systems change. The Senior Manager will work closely with NNPHI leadership and staff, public health institutes, funders, and other partner organizations to support several public health projects that engage the public health system and the public health workforce to ensure best communications practices in strategic planning, campaign development and execution, and public relations.
This position emphasizes a combination of project management experience and strategic leadership, relationship management, and fundamental communications skills. The successful applicant will bring professional experience in public health or a related field as well as a passion for building the public health workforce of the future. This position will report to the Associate Director of Communications.
Portfolio and Partner Management:
- Management of various projects within NNPHI, including but not limited to developing strong relationships with program managers and other staff and providing regular status updates on key programs, processes, and metrics.
- Management of communications budgets for ongoing and new projects, including but not limited to monthly budget reports with the Associate Director of Communications and quarterly budget meetings with program directors.
- Manage all creative projects from inception through completion for assigned programs including media production, reports, articles, campaigns, and graphics.
- Provide overall management of communication for various conferences and convenings as assigned including developing and managing timelines, supporting project planning and implementation, and coordinating with NNPHI staff, funders, and key partners to achieve stated goals.
- Coordinates public outreach with other partners, including non-profit, public health and community groups as needed; identifies potential partnerships with other local and national organizations to amplify mission and key issues through tools such as custom toolkits.
- Manage the invoicing process for all creative groups utilized across NNPHI and coordinate program spending monthly for each invoice.
- Management and maintenance of web and marketing communications best practices, protocols and processes and the outreach channels and marketing vehicles on which those communications are delivered.
- Develop and report on agreed upon marketing analytics, as well as research and evaluate new and/or future tools, platforms, and resources that contribute to communication programs.
General Communications Responsibilities:
- Develop, pitch and manage new tactics to increase NNPHI brand awareness such as developing press pitches, press kits, newsletters, and related marketing materials to amplify messaging across multiple platforms. Coordinate crisis communication with the Associate Director.
- Contribute to the overall development of NNPHI’s brand standards, brand guides and brand messaging, both internally and externally.
- Participate in annual evaluation and development of overall strategic communications plan.
- Create opportunities to engage communicators across the network and maintain strong relationships with communicators at member public health institutes and public health training centers.
- Monitor national initiatives and trends in the field of public health as well as innovations and best practices from other sectors to inform content development.
- Oversee email marketing communications through Mailchimp and Cvent, including creation, editing and scheduling content.
- Assist the Associate Director of Communications with onboarding and training of new communications team members.
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of Communications and other communications team members to deploy overall NNPHI’s communication strategy, used as a skeletal standard for all programs within NNPHI.
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or another relevant field
- Minimum of 7+ years of related experience in a similar role – strong preference will be given to applicants with public health and/or other non-profit communications experience
- Passion for communication including planning and implementation of high-quality, mission-driven practices geared for success.
- Excellent communication skills, positive motivation, team building, and leadership development.
- Ability to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively on a team and with diverse external partners.
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management.
- Entrepreneurialism and flexibility, with an ability to maneuver effectively in the face of change and transition.
- Demonstrated understanding and support of NNPHI’s Mission.
- Strong customer service skills; must possess a “can do” and team-oriented attitude. Responds with a sense of urgency, solicits feedback to improve service, responds to requests for assistance and meets commitments.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to stay motivated, organized and productive in a fast-paced work environment. Ability to organize work to use time effectively and efficiently and regularly meets project deadlines.
- Proactive, professional and positive verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Mail Chimp, Twitter, LinkedIn, WordPress, Buffer, and other online platforms.
NNPHI maintains two physical offices in, Washington, DC, and New Orleans, Louisiana. We also offer Atlanta-based applicants the option to work remotely. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will commence remotely. Ultimately, NNPHI requires the position will be based in either of our three locations. Therefore, applicants should indicate their preference to work in NNPHI offices located in New Orleans, Atlanta, or Washington, DC. We will also consider applicants based outside of these locations, but preference is given to the listed locations.
- Salary range of $70,000-80,000 dependent on education, locality, and experience.
- A highly competitive benefits package is offered to all NNPHI staff.
- 15% travel is required based on location. This could be more or less based on the needs and responsibilities of the role.
Please send a resume, two professional references, and a cover letter, clearly indicating interest in the position and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Attn: Senior Communications Manager. If requested above, please note your preference for location.
NNPHI’s Values Statement to our Employees
- We value each employee as a whole person and support a healthy life balance.
- We believe in a work environment that promotes health and wellness.
- We believe in investing in the growth and passion of our employees to create a workforce that positively affects social change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.
We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.